Skip to main content


Ancient Free and Accepted Masons

In May 1874, twenty two brethren holding membership in thirteen lodges met for the purpose of establishing a new lodge.  The name “Rising Sun” was suggested by a founding brother who belonged to Rising Sun Lodge #39 of Nashua, NH.  Accepted as an appropriate name, it was presented to the Grand Lodge of RI in its petition for Dispensation.  Thus was Rising Sun Lodge #30 born.  Its early meetings, while under Dispensation, were held at the Temple of Honor Hall in East Providence, RI.  A petition for Charter was submitted to and granted by the Grand Lodge in May 1875.  Our first officers were elected and installed in July 1875 at Freemason’s Hall, Ray’s Block, East Providence where “many pleasant meetings were held”.  After meeting at Freemason’s Hall for a number of years, the Lodge moved to Watchemoket Square and finally to our present location where the cornerstone of the Lodge was laid in October 1924.

Throughout the years, Rising Sun Lodge #30 has been ably represented in the Grand Lodge.  Four of our brothers have served as Grand Master of the Craft in this Jurisdiction: M:.W:. Brother George H. Kenyon held that office during the Centennial year of the Grand Lodge and the two years before (1889-1891); M:.W:. Brother William G Hunt who served as Grand Master during Rising Sun Lodge’s Centennial year (1975) was the great-grandson of Simeon Hunt, our first Treasurer; M:.W:. Brother Charles A. Calverley, Jr. (1983); and M:.W:. Brother William H Abbey (1987).

In recent years, Rising Sun Lodge has among other charitable activities, supported the LGP Community Foundation, awarded scholarships to local graduating high school seniors..